Thursday, June 30

POP - WAR OF THE WORLDS?

I attempted to go see WAR OF THE WORLDS @ The Grove, tonight..opening night...after all the worker bees got off of work and bought up all the tickets...tis' why I love a matinee. Remember when matinee's were actually a bargain? Half off the usual price....now they think they're doing you a favor because they give you two dollars off....it really bugs me...not because I'm cheap....Have entertainment....Will charge it....but because...historically....a matinee.....is half-off...not anymore....oh the thin (taurean) line between change and stability...that is the Taurean's thin line.

Taurus' we don't like change but crave it at the same time...imagine the battle....
I did make it to a "matinee" of BEWITCHED(there is no need to live in Hollywood or it's surrounding cities if you have no interest in movies or moviestars.) I'm....treading....lightly. Because I love the writing style ( and power) of Nora Ephron....seriously....I don't know anyone who would have gone to see BEWITCHED with me (unless they were just trying to spend time with me and willing to make the sacrifice.) so I went to see it with my best friend...me. I was waiting for friends to go see WAR OF THE WORLDS...no problem except so was everyone's Mom, sister and Step-Dad (we had a goooood meal instead) Back to BEWITCHED....let me state for the record...I will be purchasing this movie when it is released on DVD, cause it was kind of cute. What I really love about a good movie with a good cast is its ability to allow me to lose myself.....even after possibly seeing each leading character, featured, no less than a half-dozen(Krispy Kreme) times in other roles...Nicole Kidman is a darling...and Will Ferrell is a fool.....as it should be....and I loved them...Shirley Maclaine who is just divine all the time, was not used to the best of her ability, yet still ultra enjoyable...as far as "Enjoyable" goes. I also saw that Francine Maisler was the Casting Director. I was (briefly) a temp in NYC for her at Sony Pictures in the casting department for "RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS" imagine my excitement when I answered her phone.....and on the other end was Penny Marshall.....with that voice.....Oh I've lived....sheer (quiet) excitement. I often think of Miss Maisler when I'm trying to find a decent slice of pizza in LA (damn near impossible.) Me, Francine Maisler and her sweet protege/assistant (Kathy?) found time for an official lunch one day (finally.) I found her excitement for a good slice of pizza intriguing....it was foreign to me...tis' foreign no more. Regretfully, here in the west, I completely get it, but I'm still kind of floating in the river of da'nile about it. They told me I had a job with them if I ever moved to L.A. I believe the year was 96'...I was nowhere near ready...Have to be extra secure and grounded or you will drift away........on a memory.....

BEWITCHED.....I don't know.....I was just hoping for (a whole lot) more. I was suddenly aware of my expectations for this movie, while still in the middle of the movie...not a good match. Maybe someone else was supposed to take the directing reigns.

At some point, everyone has some kind of, "hey, I could do that moment" in a career...From Doctor, Lawyer, to Director. As humans we have the right to "Consider". There are some aspects of any job we could accomplish. I had a fleeting moment where I thought "Hey I could direct my own work. I could cast so and so and so and so and get a really good DP". A wiser, know myself all too well, me..knows better. In directing you have to embrace all aspects.......casting, location, production design, wardrobe, make-up, camera angles....blah, blah, blah... In the great words of Ordell Robbie "F*%$ that noise jack!" I'd rather place my story in the hands of a passionate Director who lives to create pictures from words....much better scenario for me and most...not all..It plays out like a magical symphony for some...ie..George Lucas(fellow taurean), Quentin Tarantino etc..etc. and I still float away at times...tempted by the glory (and paycheck) of being a film director but quickly grounded by my lack of passion for being the actual tool in creating the picture.. It's in the details....
FIne with being the writer who bobs up and down with angst and excitement of seeing the finished product.
Overall, I liked BEWITCHED...I had giggle out loud moments....and.....I mean...I totally got it....but...that whole becoming aware of my expectations for the movie, while sitting in the movie thing... really bummed me out. I'm tired....ending......right.......now!

P.S....make that money Sir Michael Caine!!!! I sometimes forget to mention him....Here's my one mention.....While watching him on the big screen in BEWITCHED.....I did not once... think ..."Hey, he's in Batman and Bewitched both playing now...didn't occur to me until way later....Speaks Mountains!!!!

No comments: